Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Family Fact Sheet

Herbig Family Tree_Home for 5 Years
Image by Michael Dawes via Flickr
One of the most useful items when dealing with a family tree, is the family fact sheet.  It lists all the facts of the one person you are looking at.  For instance, it states the date and place of birth, date and place of marriage, who they married, date and place of death, date and place of burial, and so on and on.  It also list the vital information about their spouse and parents.  Below all of this information, is usually listed in chronological order, the children and their vital statistics.  Why am I bringing this up you ask. 

I just spent the better part of the day searching and viewing family fact sheets at Genealogy.com .  There is a phenomenal amount of data compiled there under the Family Tree Maker, user home pages.  I was lucky enough to locate a link to one of my dead end surnames.  This particular link just might carry what I know currently, another 6 to 7 generations further back.  I still have to confirm a lot, and I do mean a lot of data.  Match it with what I already have, and find supporting documentation for the information I just acquired. 

You know how tired your eye get trying to read a lot of data online.  Well I went and printed this entire set of family fact sheets, generation group by generation group.  Take a guess how many pages it ended up being after two hours of clicking and printing.  I don’t know for sure, because I’m scared to sit down and count them, but I can assure you it’s more than 200 pages.  I used more than half of a packet of copy paper. 

I don’t mind at all though, I feel so confident of this link, that it was worth the time, paper, and ink to do this.  It’s going to make it so much easier to follow up on, with the printed fact sheets sitting right in front of me.  All in all, I think it was a productive day.  I now know far more than I did before about the Wren family Surname.

2 comments:

tashabud said...

It appears that you're finding lots of links for your geneology research.

Tasha

Eric S. said...

The neat thing, is this particular link leads me to information about an ancestor I knew very little of except name, Date of Birth, and the fact that she was born on board the ship to America. Her name was America Ann Wren. Now isn't that cool.