Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I Found A New Resource For Genealogy Research.


I joined an online social network the other night, called GenealogyWize.   I spent a few hours there doing some search through their World Vital Records search engine, and managed to find a few references of one of my great, great, great, grandfathers in an obscure document hosted on GoogleDocs.  It was a report from an old agricultural society in Nova Scotia.  Apparently my ancestor was a judge for that society in one of the counties. 

One of the things I liked about their search engine, is they place a flag that says FREE on links that are free for viewing.  They still have links to all the other information, but they let you know up front that a subscription to the host of certain information is required.  This simple convenience is such a welcome and appreciated time saver.  I think that has been my biggest frustration during all my searches, chasing after links that I simply can’t afford to get access to. 

GenealogyWize is a full featured social network.  There are community chats, discussion boards, helpful resources, and the ability to network with others chasing those same faint footprints in time.  I have also found it that it’s a very welcoming community.  I opened my email today to find a notice that someone posted a comment to my page there.  It turned out to be a welcome note, explaining all the resources available there, encouraging networking with the genealogists.  I think I may be spending a little time over there, especially with that handy little search engine.

I mentioned finding that list of family group sheets on line the other day.  I can tell you that there is definitely a tie to my family tree.  How do I know for sure?  Well because I am listed there, along with my Father, Grandmother, and on.  I spent hours last night going through those pages, examining the facts and sources listed.  Unfortunately, I started at the top.  If I had started at the bottom, I would have found my own name within a few pages.  How I missed that while I was printing them, I have no idea.

“People will not look forward to posterity who will not look backward to their ancestors.”
-Edmond Burk-

2 comments:

tashabud said...

Hi Eric,
Your new blog has turned out very nicely.

I'm happy to hear that you're finding many informations of your family tree. The best is when they are free.

Tasha

Eric S. said...

Thanks Tasha, It's coming along. I've been spending so much time checking out all the information I'm finding, that I have not gotten all the links up. It'll be coming though.