Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Lucky Find!

Schweer / Wedeking Decendants Circa 1900 I found a site dedicated to the family history of many names within my own tree.  I found this site while searching my own last name, as I have done thousands of times before.  So I suppose I should say that it pays to search names, and then later re-search those same names, because you’ll never know what might have been missed by tired eyes.  I also think that one of the browser add-on’s I use helped find this.  Anyway, this particular find took  My family name back a couple more generation, to their pre-immigration home of Germany.

The site is KarensGen.com.  The page I landed on was the Schweer/Jurgens page, listing my Great, Great, Great Grandfather and Grandmother.  It has filled in gaps in the limited information I have on them, and given me the names of their fathers, mothers, grandfathers, and grandmothers.  Not to mention it has photos of their tombstones, and a few relatives, however distant the may be, of mine. schweerhy1812

Needless to say, I spent the better part of last night and tonight, scouring that site for information, and let me tell you there is a lot. All you have to do is click on her families link, and you’ll see what I mean.  She has obviously spent a lot of time setting this website up, and making it incredibly easy to navigate and understand.   The other thing I would suggest, especially if you’re researching a name within her list, is to view the guestbook entries.  There is even more information there.

No comments: