Thursday, August 26, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday, My Digital Treasure Trove

Schweer Wedeking Decendants 
 
Image via KarensGen
Schweer / Wedeking descendants – about 1906 
Row 1) Lydia Niemann Schweer,  Rosetta Schweer Hadsel Schufeldt,  Reeka Schweer Thaden  
Row 2) Henry Schroedder,  Minne Schweer Schroeder,  Christ Schweer,  Henry Schweer 
 Row 3)   Doris Schweer Grumen, Henry Schweer (G,G, Grandfather) Doris Wedeking Schweer (G,G, Grandmother) Bertha Schweer Brutsman

This picture in and of itself may not be a “Treasured Item”, but I found it in what I consider to be a treasure trove of information.   Let’s start off with the picture, it is of the Schweer / Wedeking descendants, taken about 1906.  Heinrich Frederich Christoph Schweer and Sophia Maria Dorothea (Doris) Wedeking are my Great, Great, Grandparents.   The caption I added, lists everyone in the picture. 

As for my treasure trove, it is called Karen’s Gen, authored by Karen S. Rowe.  This is a site I found by pure accident.  I had googled my own surname, so many times I can’t even count them.  One night, I did it once more, and on the second page, a link to the Heinrich Fredrich Christoph Schweer family group sheet site popped up.  As the saying goes, the rest is history.  I found on this site , so much new and extremely thorough information, and a ton of pictures. 

The interesting part about this, is that because of this site, I found tombstones of members of the extended family.  These are headstones, I would have never credited before this find, because they were not in my “direct” lineage.  But it’s interesting that they are in different areas of the country, where I suspected my family had been, but never had any proof.  I found these tombstones on Find A Grave.com, and was impressed to see that whoever had entered them included Census data with children's names, and a lot of other information.

Isn’t it interesting how one success can lead to so many more.  Like stepping stones through a garden, all you have to do is stay on the correct path.  I hope everyone has a wonderful evening, and I wish you all the success possible in your research.

“Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience.” – George Bernard Shaw, Via Quotations Book.

2 comments:

Gini said...

Congrats on your new and interesting finds Eric.

Also, thanks so much for your kind and comforting words regarding my mom. It's really been very difficult for me and the genealogy blogging community is and has been an incredible support system.

Eric S. said...

Thanks Gini, These times your dealing with are always tough. It's hard to say goodbye to a loved one. Keep your head up, and keep pushing forward.

I have always found the blogging community to be one of the most generous and kind groups of people I ever met.