Saturday, September 4, 2010

One Find After Another!

Sunset may 2006 panorama

Image via Wikipedia

So far, it’s been a very productive weekend.  The volume of records I’m finding during Ancestry's free weekend surprises even me.  Right off the bat, I was able to locate my great grandfathers declaration of intent, that he filed for citizenship.  The information on it, was pretty much everything I already had, but I did learn a couple of things, The Pitt family originally came from England.  We had not been sure, thinking there was a possibility that we were from Ireland or Scotland, but no, it was indeed the old UK.  I also learned exactly when and where they came into the United states.  Much later than I expected, and by land, not sea.  Of course when I sent a copy of it to Mother, she said, “Ohh I have that some where around here”!!!!  I wanted so much to say “and you didn’t think I would be interested in it?”, but I stilled my tongue, and behaved myself.

Shortly after that I found my Great Great Great Grandparents in the passenger lists coming over from Bremmen Germany.  The Wedeking’s traveled with a group of people from Kolenfeld Germany, so now I may end up researching those names, just for the fun of it.  This record I know is my ancestors, because the time and ages were correct.  I believe they may have been part of the Saxson exodus during the Lutheran church revolutions.  A time when many of the younger people of the church had a rather serious falling out with the elder generations.  My research of the history of the area, and era is really quite alarming.  They certainly didn’t have an easy life.

I’m still filtering my way through so many records of the Schweer name.  I was taken completely by surprise, just how many passenger records would show up for that name.  I’m going to continue filtering my through them, one by one if I have to. I would love to find the name of the ship they came over on.  All of the new information is leading me to research other things, not necessarily related to genealogy, but more out of curiosity.  I have suddenly become far more interested in history, especially regional histories of areas my families came from or traveled through.  I’m finding myself becoming more and more engrossed in the whole endeavor.

"What we know of other people's only our memory of the moments during which we knew them." – T.S. Elliot via Quotations Book.

5 comments:

tashabud said...

From what I've gathered, so far, from reading all your research, your paternal roots had come from Germany and your maternal roots had come from England through Novascotia. Correct?

Haven't been here as much as I'd like to visit to comment, but rest assured that I've been reading most of your posts in this blog and of your other blogs as well through your email feeds.

As always, I enjoy reading your writings.

Tasha

Eric S. said...

Hi Tasha, No worries, I know you keep close tabs on me, LOL.

Yes you are correct, the paternal side hails from the Hanover area of Germany, a few primary little villages, Bokeloh, Kolenfeld, Neustadt, and Steinhude. The maternal side comes from England, and they were heavily involved in the settling of Nova Scotia. One town in particular, it is possible we were among the first families to settle. I still have to prove the tie, but there was a George and Elizabeth Moore among the first families, and not long after that is when I have records of our George and Elizabeth in the area. If I can just fill in about two more generations, I might be able to prove it.

kkipp said...

Don't go too hard on Mother. She's got her hands WAY full managing the doctoral program she's enrolled in. I can't imagine that she'll have much time for anything around the requirements of that very aggressive study and writing schedule.

I'm going to use that excuse for myself also. Working the hours I must to cover for all the folk laid off in the last 9 months, and adding the study burden of the professional certification that my supervisor (our company president)has requested I achieve is hard for me to manage and find time for anything else.

But someday I hope to be able to join you in your research of the family histories.

Hugs,

Kel

Eric S. said...

NO worries Sis, I know what your facing, and wish you all the luck with it. As Dad would say, just tuck your head, and dig right on in there. Work hard and proud no matter what the job, and finish well.

Love Ya girl.

Anonymous said...

Thomas Pitt was born in 1809 in Norham, Northumberland. His parents were Michael Pitt, a brickmaker, and Agnes nee Mitchell. He was the third of 9 children of Michael and Agnes. Michael Pitt was born in 1766 in Castle Eden, County Durham to Thomas Peat and Jane nee Brown. They were married in Whittingham, Northumberland in 1758.

Michael Pitt died in 1823. The family moved around this time to Tweedmouth (a suburb of Berwick-upon-Tweed). Agnes Pitt died there in 1847 and the following year we know two of their sons Alexander and Andrew Pitt emigrated to Nova Scotia on the brig the "Richard Alsop" via New York. Thomas Pitt probably moved to Nova Scotia around this time. The 1871 census shows Andrew Pitt and Thomas Pitt both living in Pugwash. Andrew Pitt married Mary Elizabeth Glenn in 1864 and the marriage record in the Nova Scotia archive records both Andrew's place of birth, parents and father's occupation which all tally with the Northumberland records. Since Andrew and Thomas were living almost next to one another in Pugwash it is therefore certain that Thomas Pitt was Andrew's brother.

In the 1871 UK census Andrew's wife Mary Elizabeth is recorded as visiting her brother-in-law William Pitt in Embleton, Northumberland.

Michael Pitt
(gt gt gt grandson of Michael and Agnes Pitt).