Saturday, September 11, 2010

Surname Saturday; Hawks / Hawkes

Trerice house

The Trerice House near Truro Nova Scotia photo by Andrew Longton CC Attribution Share Alike 2.0 
Image via Wikipedia

One of the family names in my tree, has had an extensive amount of information accumulated and published on it.  Terris / Trerice, is a among the names that I descend from, and I was lucky enough to obtain a copy of the ebook “Terris / Trerice More Tracks Through Time” by Irene Kauffmann and Greg Brown, CC 2004.  During time of their research for this book, my Mother had been researching her grandparents history in Nova Scotia.  She had made a trip there, and was searching some archives and a tiny little library when she met one of the people involved in the project.  They got to talking, and Mother mentioned her grandmothers name.  This researcher perked up and said “yes, and she married Robert Dykin Pitt”.  Of course this floored my mother, because at the time, she was unaware of the Terris / Trerice project this lady was working on.  Needless to say, many of Mothers questions were quite quickly answered, and the lady agreed to keep in contact. 

My Great Grandmother, Ida May (Terris) Pitt, was the daughter of John Edmund Barlow Terris and  Grace Elizabeth Vena Fenton, who was the daughter of  William J Fenton and Mary Ann Hawks.  The Fenton line continues on quite a bit farther, and I have even had contact with another person researching the same line, who has very kindly sent me all of her information.  So I can trace the Fenton family pretty well.  One interesting thing, is that Mary Ann Hawks is actually listed on a pedigree chart my Grandmother did back when Mom was born. 

The difficulty I currently have, is that I can not locate any further information on Mary Ann Hawks.  The Terris / Trerice book lists her as being born 1831, in New Brunswick, but I can not find any actual records as yet.  Family Lore has her or her family coming from England, I know not very specific huh.  I am talking with another person who has the same difficulties with what we believe is the same Mary Ann Hawks, except his records list her as a Hawkes.  Pretty common thing to have happen from what I’m finding.  So this Mary Ann Hawks, has become one of my dead ends, and a little frustration of mine. 

If anyone has any leads on the Hawks name, I would be very grateful for any help what so ever.   

“Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” – Denis Waitley via Quotations Book.

4 comments:

tashabud said...

I cannot begin to fathom how you are able to research such a common name and be able to connect the lines after that. I've given up already, if I were in your shoes. You have lots of patience, my dear friend.

Tasha

Eric S. said...

Hey Tasha, yep the more common names are difficult. You just have to keep following the records back farther and farther. It helps to have the big picture, like all the siblings names and ages, things like that really help out a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric, I am related to Mary Ann Hawkes. Please contact me at hawkesfamilytree@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Eric
I am one of the authors of More Trerice Terris Tracks Through Time. I am getting ready to publish the most updated version of my files and would love to hear from you to add to my file..you can reach me at: browngreg_joy@rogers.com

Greg